Hair Care Secrets That Westerosi Women Can Teach You
HBO’s medieval drama Game Of Thrones never ceases to bring some new twists and turns to the table. With each passing season, we get to see the characters evolving and how! And even though the plot keeps you engrossed, you have to admit that you can’t help admiring the intricate outfits and the incredible hairstyles. Whether it is Khaleesi’s envious braid, Sansa’s colored tresses or Arya’s short hair-do, each hairstyle has a different story to tell, a different secret to share. This is why the internet is full of DIY hairstyles, which take inspiration from the show.
As the game for the Iron Throne intensifies in the coming season, let’s quickly brush through some hair care secrets that Westerosi women can teach you.
- HOW TO DEAL WITH A BAD HAIRCUT
A bad haircut a la Cersei Lannister is like having many bad hair days in a row. But instead of covering it up, why not embrace it? Here is what you can do about a bad haircut:
- Accessorize it – Take your pick from numerous hair accessories such as headbands, hair clips, barrettes etc. and use them to give any unfortunate hairstyle look stylish.
- Hair extensions – Hair extensions can work wonders on any kind of hair. Use them if you don’t have the patience for the hair to grow back.
- Go for a temporary makeover – When your haircut makes you look completely different, go for a temporary makeover spree by changing your wardrobe, makeup and your hairstyle. This will take your mind off your hair for the time being.
- Attitude is everything – Don’t let a bad haircut change the person that you are. Sport a positive attitude and don’t let a bad haircut get you down.
It takes a lot of time to adjust to changes, especially when it comes to your appearance. Hopefully, with these tips in tow, the transition will become a bit more bearable.
- HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HAIR IN EXTREME TEMPERATURES
Your hair needs more taking care of in extreme temperatures. Here is how the Westerosi beauties must have aced the art of hair TLC come winter or summer.
In Westeros, winters last for several years in a row, leading to an almost apocalyptic situation. The following points are handy for taking care of your hair during winters.
- Don’t wash your hair too often. Instead of washing it 2-3 times a week, reduce it to 1-2 times a week. This will prevent excessive drying of your hair.
- Moisture and the cold atmosphere can wreak havoc on hair by making it brittle and dry. Make sure that you completely dry your hair before stepping out of home.
- Make conditioner your best friend and apply a generous amount of it when you shower. The same holds true for leave-in conditioners. Alternatively, opt for a homemade deep conditioning treatmentonce a week to prevent further hair damage.
- To control static, don’t use plastic brushes and switch to brushes with natural bristles. Also, use wooden combs instead of plastic ones for the same purpose.
Just like winters, summers also last for several years in Westeros. Given below are some hair care pointers, which the women of the Seven Kingdoms as well as the Free Cities use during summer.
- Summer is the best time to experiment with hairstyles. You can either wear them in some cool braids and ponytails or even go for haircuts that are in trend. Apart from looking stylish, these will also help you keep the heat and humidity at bay.
- Cover your hair with a scarf or any other headgear to protect it from direct sunlight, dirt, dust and pollution.
- Stay away from styling tools that use excessive heat such as blow dryers, curling and straightening irons as this strips the hair off moisture and natural oils.
- Let your hair air-dry instead of blow-drying it. Use a t-shirt to absorb excess moisture and detangle your hair using your fingers or a wide-toothed comb after you come out of the shower.
- Before hitting the beach or swimming in a pool, make it a point to rinse your hair with water thoroughly before and after you step into the water.
- HOW TO TAKE CARE OF RECENTLY COLORED HAIR
Did you recently dye your hair a Melisandre Red and want it to look as flawless as hers? Here is what you need to do:
- Get your hair colored from experts who have experience in handling different hair types and use the best quality colors.
- Colored hair begins to look really bad when the color starts fading. Make it a point to visit the salon and opt for touch-ups at regular intervals.
- Any chemical is bad for colored hair and this includes shampoos. Use special shampoo and conditioner that are meant for colored hair. This will make the color last longer.
- Avoid using extremely hot or cold water to rinse colored hair. This strips the hair of its natural oils and moisture, leading to excessive hair damage.
- If you are coloring your hair at home, make sure that you buy the best products after reading reviews and ratings of the colors available on the market.
Having said that, avoid coloring your hair too frequently as it can damage your hair, leading to hair loss in the long run.
- HOW TO TAME THE FRIZZ
A lot of woman in Game Of Thrones have flawlessly textured hair, leading us to wonder how do they keep their hair frizz-free and look as if they have walked straight out of a hair salon. Maybe they have some tricks up their sleeves such as:
- Not rubbing the hair vigorously while drying it.
- Using the L.O.C. methodto tame their curls.
- Using satin pillow cases that help avoid friction and breakage of hair strands.
- Not using shampoo excessively and going “no-poo” instead.
- Ditching hot styling tools.
These points can effectively tame your tresses and eliminate all the frizz, just like Missandei.
- HOW TO UP YOUR WEDDING HAIRSTYLE GAME
Weddings are eventful in Westeros. The Red Wedding and The Purple Wedding are the apt examples of the same. But this doesn’t mean that the bride looks all decked up for her special day! This includes jaw-dropping hairstyles that perfectly compliment their wedding dresses. Needless to say, they look drop-dead-gorgeous with the elaborate hairdos. Up your wedding hairstyle game with these amazing Game of Thrones inspired hairstyles and make heads turn.
After all, any wedding without the perfect hairstyle is a dull affair!
The Wrap Up
There are months before the next season of Game Of Thrones airs, which means you have sufficient time to put these hair secrets into action and have healthy, lustrous hair by the time the show returns! Do you know of any other hair-related tips straight the show? Let us know!